Thursday, September 18, 2008

Someone Understands

Dear Pilgrim Pals:

The following article was posted over at Pilgrim Scribblings yesterday and I thought I'd post it here on "Pals" as well. When we wonder if anyone will ever understand...God does. I'm reminded of a wonderful song entitled, No One Understands Like Jesus." He truly knows our struggles and cares deeply for us. Hallelujah.

- David

Do you ever struggle with feelings that you can't quite find words to describe? And, if you could, you wouldn't be gutsy enough to share them with others because they just wouldn't understand? I've certainly been there...as recently as today.

Sometimes we wonder if anyone else on the face of the earth could comprehend the complexities of our battles. Then, out of the blue, we discover that someone has actually written about the exact thing we're dealing with.
Keeping those thoughts to ourselves for fear of being misrepresented or misunderstood can lead to dangerous introspection but at times we just can't get them out there.

A book I refer to time and time again is
Bright Days, Dark Nights by Elizabeth Skoglund. I've mentioned it here in Pilgrim Scribblings several times. She skillfully uses the writings of the Prince of Preachers, Charles Haddon Spurgeon, attempting to bring light to the dark subjects of depression, anxiety and loneliness among other things.

Skoglund quotes
J. B. Phillips whose book Your God Is Too Small is a classic. Phillips uttered these words of confession, "The hardest thing of all to bear is what I can only describe as a nameless mental pain, which is, as far as I know, beyond the reach of any drug, and which I have tried in vain to describe to anyone."

He continues, "It would have been of inestimable comfort and encouragement to me in some of my darkest hours if I could have come across even one book written by someone who had experienced and survived the hellish torments of mind which can be produced. And, alas, I know very, very few clergy or ministers who would even know what the sufferer was talking about."


So we carry on, alone to a degree, but we know that God
DOES understand the pain we bear. And so, again, we are forced (why does it have to come to that?) to cast our burden on the Lord knowing that He will sustain us and bring us out of that dark, hideous place. Rejoice that we know One who was there. He was the Man of Sorrows and he's very much acquainted with grief.

5 comments:

Julie (Little Missionary) said...

Thanks for posting this David. The pain (emotional/mental) I've felt for all too long now has become so overwhelming in recent weeks. I fear it will never end and that fear causes me to consider suicide...but then a still small voice says,"hold on my daughter, hold on to me and we will ride it through together." It's so hard though.

Little Missionary

Felisol said...

Dear Julie LBM,
you know the worst thing about a depression, is the feeling that it will never stop.
When I went to nurse school our psychiatry teacher told us about a colleague of his, also a psychiatrist, who went down with a severe depression. The colleagues spoke together, and my teacher said,"
you know how you always tell your patients that depressions will pass." "yes, I do, the other said, " but that goes for everyone, but me."
That's the exact nature of depressions.
You know , dear Julie, how much you want to serve the Lord, to be a helper and a tool for our Lord among the helpless.
That sure is a wonderful and unselfish thing to do.
If the road may seem narrow and crooked, it's only because there's the evil who works strongly against the Lord and who's wish it is that you fail. Will you really give him the siege? I don't think so. I think you have sacrificed far too much to come where you are today.
Being so close to the goal; plaes, don't you dare to give in.
TheLord need your willing heart ad mind.
Dear Julie, be silent for the Lord and wait for him.
He will in his time show you the road.
Yours, Felisol

Terry said...

Keep holding on to His hand Little Missionary Julie. He will NEVER let you go.
[and we, your brothers and sisters won't either!]...Love Terry

Vicki said...

I've known that hellish torment of the mind, those dark nights of the soul, Julie. Many years ago, with 3 small children, I was hospitalized for suicidal depression and nearly gave up on my life. But the Lord didn't. Charles Spurgeon, the Prince of Preachers, struggled greatly with dark depressions, but by the grace of God he preached and made a real impact for the Kingdom, but never in his own strength. (I didn't realize this about Spurgeon until a few years ago). Spurgeon's story gave me hope, inspiration, but also the realization that I can't even function without the power of Christ flowing through me.

There's no shame in admitting our weakness. But fear is from Satan, Julie, so please be sure you're not believing his lies (that deceiver!) for fear is always bondage to us.

Spurgeon had to cling to truth, and he had to rest, too. Guess I'm rambling now:-) There are just so many days when I feel that unless God raises me up Himself, I won't even be able to get out of bed. God hears these kinds of prayers, my friend.

Many are the Lord's plans for you, Julie. But all you need to do is rest in Him, Keep trusting Him just as you are doing. Nothing can thwart His divine plan for our lives when we're surrendered to Him and relying on Him for our very breath and step.

I take an antidepressant whenever my brain gets out of balance but I still need to "be transformed by the renewing of my mind." Sometimes I just sit and read the Psalms & cry but His Spirit renews me inwardly. I hurt deeply sometimes, but the Lord tells me what He recently told you: "hold on, daughter. I'll walk you through..." If we fall at any point, let it be into His everlasting Arms, amen? No safer place in all the world!

You are safe in Him, sister. And we are standing in the gap for you.

I pray you'll let the Lord and His people love on you. You are a daughter of the Most High God, cherished by the Father who has called you by name, dear Julie. Besides, there's no one else like you and we love you a whole lot!

Praying and believing Him for your deepest needs (and for mine). Let's give Him all our fears.

I am so sorry to ramble...your words struck a meaningful chord in my heart just now.

love you, girl ~
Vicki

Vicki said...

David, I meant to thank you for this post yesterday but after writing my long comment to Julie, my internet messed up. Wondering how you're doing...praying and thanking God for you.