Wednesday, December 12, 2007

My Financial Career

The following thoughts were posted on Pilgrim Scribblings earlier today:

One of Canada's most recognized writers from a past generation was Stephen Leacock (1869-1944). Born in England, Leacock's family emigrated to Canada and settled on a farm near Sutton, Ontario. Many of his summers were spent in Orillia, Ontario, not too far from where I live.

The short piece of Leacock's work that I recall most vividly is his "My Financial Career." Check it out here. Banks and Leacock weren't good friends. Likely enemies. I can relate! My first job after graduating from my 2nd year in Grade 12 was with the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce. I persevered for two months then made a withdrawal. I removed myself from the bank and deposited myself in the family business for 7 years before buying the local Christian bookstore which I kept afloat with God's help for 15 years with frequent visits to the bank manager. How I despised those visits!

When you live on the edge, with no visible means of support, eking out a hand to mouth (God's hand to my mouth) existence, banks can be a life saver or a curse. You're always waiting for "the call" when the crusty clerk calls to say that your cheque was made of rubber. The bank statements arrive in the mail and you quickly shred them and line the bird cage with the pieces. You never read them. You hate bad news!

With modern technology we can stick a plastic card in a metal machine and get paper money for free or at least that's what my kids think. Insert the card, enter your PIN and the amount needed than pray fervently that NOT APPROVED doesn't flash on the screen. I've seen those dreaded words far too often., this morning for example, and this may have prompted me to write this post.

You only have $5.00 left in your pocket and you need gas in the car. You know your credit card is maxed, your chequing account is taxed and you have to make a choice. Rather than suffer embarassment twice you choose to pay cash and go without milk. How come the outstanding balance owing on your card is always higher than you thought and the available balance in your bank account is always lower than you guessed?

It's not that the bank employees I've dealt with in recent years have been hard to deal with. On the contrary they have been exceptional. They had to be to deal with me! All twelve managers in the last eight years have been understanding women. Not a guy in the group. I wonder why. Of course it takes a month or two to explain what "living by faith" is all about. A foreign concept. You work but you might not get paid. Such uncertainty! When the tellers see me coming they know that I either have to do some juggling or another miracle has happened. Some unknown donor has taken pity and sent along a charitable gift.

Will there be financial institutions in heaven? I'm banking on the assurance that there won't be any such thing. I pray that there won't be. No need! The Giver of every good and perfect gift will be enthroned there. We will have all we need...in Him.

'Til then I guess I have to make my treks to the TD Canada Trust after waiting for the mailman's miracle deliveries either to make a deposit or arrange a loan to carry me 'til the next miracle.

Am I stressed? YES! Do I need to be? NO!

I've been writing this while waiting for the mailman to arrive. It's two o'clock. He should arrive soon. Maybe this is the day!

Excuse me while I check the mailbox.

AND PLEASE PRAY...

THANKS!

5 comments:

Terry said...

Dear David...I hope that the mail man carried good news for you.
I know it must be hard on you and Carol.
Those rubber checks cost so much nowadays too. The bank charges you 40 dollars and depending on who the check bounced on, well there is usually another 40 dollars charged.
I don't trust the banks at all.
Bernie and I pulled out of the bank five years ago. With all their secret charges, it was costing us plenty.
The day that they started to charge us 2.50 a month to use our pass book. that is when we decided.
We moved everything including our mortgage to President's Choice where all the banking services are free!
We aren't even charged to pay our bills there [2.75 at the bank], our checks are free and free to use.
Maybe you should look into it. The debit card is free and there is no monthly service charge on anything!

If I were still working David, I surely would help you.
When I had the job, Bernie and I never budgeted on the money. We gave to the Lord, and He would tell us where to put it..
You are working for the Lord and He will surely be there for you guys...Love Terry.

Nutrinotas said...

Ojala te guste !!! saludos

http://nutri-notas.blogspot.com/

Pilot Mom said...

David, I so understand where you are coming from! We have been through many of the same things over the years. Yet, the one thing which stands out, above all others, is His faithfulness in His provisions for our needs. His grace and mercy flow freely for us and we rejoice! There will come a day when we will no longer have to experience this "refining fire" and what a glorious day that will be!

Hang on, dear brother, you are not alone. Many are praying for you and your family. We know that He is faithful to answer.

Felisol said...

Dear Pilgrim David,
I feel so sorry for you. Reading about the crack in American real estate market,(which by the way is about to inflict the whole western hemisphere), I do know that this isn't anything you have caused yourself. It's the times.
But God says "in my hand are your times."
We'll have to rest in that and of course keep on praying.
Yours Felisol

Anonymous said...

Oh, Pilgrim!!!

I'm praying BIG for you and your family!

God bless you!