Sunday, December 16, 2007

Our Great High Priest

As I read Lauren-Mary's post my heart ached for her. The uncertainties of life can be so debilitating. Biding time on a snowy weekend, waiting to hear the news from a doctor is so unsettling. No, Lauren-Mary, you're not whining...you're just expressing the feelings that any of your pals would feel if we were facing similar circumstances.

We are praying for you but, greater by far, our Great High Priest, Jesus Himself, is going before the Father continuously on your behalf. He knows your need, the knows what the doctor is going to tell you and He's boldly approaching the God of heaven with YOU in mind.

That reminds me of the poem I penned years ago when facing a seemingly insurmountable mountain:

Our Great High Priest above
In righteousness arrayed;
Presents our every need to God
Before we've even prayed.

"Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need." - Hebrews 4:14-16 (NIV)

2 comments:

Felisol said...

Dear Pilgrims
I love those verses, especially that last:
"Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need."

I need not feel unworthy or shameful,
(even though I often do),
I shall receive mercy and find help in my time of need.
Amen
Felisol

Lauren-Mary said...

Thank you SO much for posting this! The verse is just what I needed to hear, and the poem is beautiful!