Tuesday, January 29, 2008

2008 - year of new hope

Hi Pals,

I have a lot of renewed hope in my heart for this year and a few goals that will keep me out of "trouble" (ha, ha). One goal is the evening college program I'm enrolled in that I've mentioned here before. The course is going very well by the way.

Another goal is around my job. Eight years ago I made a decision that unfortunately set me on a path of years of financial hardship. In 1999, I left a good salary, full-time, permanent job to go to Guatemala as a missionary for 3 years - believe me I prayed about it for months and it seemed to be God's will at the time. The short story is - the organization did NOT fulfill their end of the bargain - I was left hanging...out of work and no missionary destination! Boy did I gain some wisdom from that experience. Since then I've been on temporary contracts full-time, part-time and a full year of unemployment at one point! As a single person trying to feed, cloth and over $800 in rent for a decent place, it has not been an easy road at all. I know God sustained me, however, it was still scary and very, very lonely at times. I often felt I was two steps away from living on the streets.

Finally, after years of walking on "egg shells", in April of this year I will have two years continuous service with the City of Ottawa and will be re-instated as a full-time permanent - praise God! But I still have 3 months to go before this happens, so please pray nothing terrible happens in the next 3 months! The job I'm in will remain temporary (not on the books so to speak), even though I will be considered permanent. Basically, that means even if the position was dissolved due to budget constraints, as a permanent employee, Human Resources would have to place me in another position.

Anyway, even though I like my job, I am ready for a new challenge this year. And so, I recently applied for a more senior admin job with Fire Services (still within municipal government). Problem is, it's a unionized position and I am in a non-unionized job - unionized employees always get first consideration for positions (equitable....I don't think so, but that's the way it is). However, with God ALL things are possible and if he wants me there - IT WILL HAPPEN. With over 18 years admin experience, I'd like to move back into a job where I have a direct report to senior management and more responsibility. So, please keep this in your daily prayers.

Thanks so much.

Julie (LM)

7 comments:

Terry said...

Good going Little Missionary. Julie!
It is nice that you will be a full time permanent employee.
It would be kind of taking a chance if you quit for the other job Julie, unless they would let you take a leave of absence so you could see what it is like..
Unionized jobs are a little scary because it is so easy to be bumped during the first few years.
Bernie went though that a lot in his job...Lay offs..
It is such a hard decision for you Little Missionary.
I will be praying for you...Love Terry

Anonymous said...

Hi, LM!
I've been thinking about you a lot lately, as we hadn't heard from you in awhile. Glad to hear from you again...will be praying for you with that job!

Love and Prayers,
LPP

Anonymous said...

Question for the Pals...

Who posted the prayer request about Ernie Trammel? Would that Pal know if he has relatives in Baltimore? Just curious...my moms cousin is married to a Trammell.

Curious LPP ;)

Julie (Little Missionary) said...

Hi Terry, I would not be allowed to take a leave of absence - not at my level. Life is a big risk I guess. The one thing I would check into before accepting any union position is that there is no grievance currently against the position and what safe guards there are for me if it was grieved after I'm in it. I believe the City's policy is that I would be allowed to go back into my former position it a grievance was successful, but I'd have to check. Anyway, that is far from being an issue right now as I haven't even receive a call for an interview!

Julie (LM)

Vicki said...

Julie, count on me to pray...job decisions are always something we need His wisdom and guidance with....but still have to step out in faith. I would love to see you doing something you dearly love, with just the right amount of challenge you're speaking of.

Also pray for my sister in CA who is still without a job and is being evicted from her little apartment this week.

Terry said...

Oh Vicki....I never knew about your sister still not havng a job. Oh she really needs our prayer and she really needs the Lord...Love Terry

Little Pilgrim...The last name of Ernie is Phillips.
Mark Trammell is the guy who used to sing with The Cathedrals and Gold City and now he has his own group, The Mark Trammell Trio....Love Mrs. Shirkie

Felisol said...

Dear Julie,
we'll all pray for you that you'll be where the Lord wants you to be.
However sometimes we have to use our own common sense as well. I once applied for two different schools (teacher and Nurse), payed to God that he'd give me a place where he wanted me to be...And then I was accepted both places. I simply had to make my own decision.
Anyway I still keep on praying for guidance. "Thy will be done" must also be an everyday thing to me. Alas I too often want MY will to be done.
Hope you are wiser.
From Felisol

Dear Vicki
Your sister must be under a lot of strain. I'm praying for her now.
Yours Felisol