Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Writer's Crucible

Two months ago I was invited to join a local Christian writers group called the Writer's Crucible. I had known of this group for quite some time and was honoured to be asked to become a member.

We meet on the third Tuesday of each month for mutual encouragement and to provide feedback (critiques) on each other's writing.

Tonight I was looking for an online dictionary to give me some definitions of the word "crucible".

Here are some of my findings:

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This

cru·ci·ble (krōō'sə-bəl) Pronunciation Key n.

1. A vessel made of a refractory substance such as graphite or porcelain, used for melting and calcining materials at high temperatures.
2. A severe test, as of patience or belief; a trial. See Synonyms at
trial.
3. A place, time, or situation characterized by the confluence of powerful intellectual, social, economic, or political forces: "Macroeconomics . . . was cast in the crucible of the Depression" (Peter Passell).


What the Writer's Crucible is is really a combination of all three of the above definitions.

One thing is certain, I've already benefited greatly from associating with these fellow scribes and I look forward eagerly to each meeting.

Thanks, Bev, for inviting me to be part of this wonderful group!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, Pilgrim!

I like our new photo on the header! Although REALLY liked the previous one, change is good ;)

God bless you,
LPP

Pilgrim Pals said...

Wow,I wish I lived close enough to join your writer's group, too. Sounds like a great place to be honed by God while you help each other hone your writing craft.

blessings on your writing & life,
Vicki