Sunday, May 18, 2008

Strength and Hope

This morning I posted the following reflections over at Pilgrim Scribblings and thought I would share them here on "Pals" as well. We have a hope that's steadfast and sure! HALLELUJAH!

We've all heard the stirring lyrics to the powerful hymn Great is Thy Faithfulness time and time again. Yet I'm convinced that, for any child of the King who is walking with Him, these words never become commonplace. I pray that they don't!

Driving home this morning from my night shift job at Christian Horizons I was enjoying a radio program of old hymns of the faith. I had taken one of the back roads home, taking in the beautiful scenery and reveling in the Father's love.

To be honest, I was dreading the day when we leave our present home for the last time, bid farewell to neighbors and friends and the place we've called "home" for 14 years and begin afresh in a different location. We have so many fond memories of our place here in Cavan. As I was thinking of that tearful day (in a few weeks) when we say "goodbye", Steve Green began to sing Great is Thy Faithfulness.

The words "strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow" gripped me. As believers in Jesus Christ and soldiers of the cross we have the assurance that a sovereign God will provide all the strength we need for today and bright hope for tomorrow which will anchor our souls.

We have been blessed beyond measure as the Father has lavished His love on us. Regardless of what tomorrow may bring, we have the promises of God and that is all we need.

Today, if you are dreading your "tomorrows", abide in His love, rest under His wings and know that He cares for you and will give you whatever you need.

"Because God wanted to make the unchanging nature of his purpose very clear to the heirs of what was promised, he confirmed it with an oath. God did this so that, by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to take hold of the hope offered to us may be greatly encouraged. We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. - Hebrews 6:17-19a (NIV)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that hymn, Pilgrim!

Do we not have a feautured-blog feature anymore?! I noticed it was missing. Also, I noticed the new sidebar that says the Truth Project, but it is not linked...I mean you cannot click it. Is that the way it is supposed to be?

I hope you and your family are doing well. Every day is a struggle here, but by God's grace we'll make it through.

Love and Prayers,
LPP

PS
You must be happy for Jordan Staal making it to the Stanley Cup Finals! I THINK I'm going for Pittsburgh, because they have a guy from our city on their team, so if they win the Cup, he'll bring it to our town ;) The last time it was here, Martin St. Louis had it at the shopping center a 10 minute walk from our house, and Eric Perrin had it at his place...which is SOMEWHERE in our district/neighborhood!

Terry said...

Dear David.
I know exactly how you are feeling.
I hated to say good bye to Manitoba when we left and to this day I still feel the hurt but it is incredible that even so, I can see the Lord's hand was in all of it.
When we moved to Ottawa, it was just in time that there were special gospel meetings going on that went on for ten weeks..
Mr. Fred Holder and Mr. Murray McLeod were preaching. and during that ten weeks Mom, Betty and I were gloriously saved!

If you think, David that you will miss your old neighbourhood and your friends there, just think about how THEY will feel? I do believe that they will miss your family and will feel an empty space where you guys once were!
Will Willow be going to the new home with our guys?
One thing that is a little easier for you though David a is that you won't be living too far from your old stamping grounds, eh?
We will be thinking of you!!!...Love Terry

Anonymous said...

Interesting topics could give you more visitors to your site. So Keep up the good work.