Friday, August 22, 2008

In My Mail Box This Morning


The Foot-Washing God
READ: John 13:1-5


[Jesus] poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples' feet. -John 13:5
Questions about God's existence often troubled H. A. Hodges, a brilliant young professor of philosophy at Oxford University. One day as he strolled down the street, he passed by an art store. His attention was gripped by a simple picture in the window. It showed Jesus kneeling to wash His disciples' feet.

Hodges knew the story recorded in John 13-God incarnate washing human feet. But suddenly the sheer meaning of that scene gripped the heart of this young philosopher. God-God!-humbling Himself to do that lowliest of tasks! He thought, If God is like that, then that God shall be my God! Seeing that painting was one of the circumstances that caused Hodges to surrender his life to the true God-the foot-washing God.

We Christians sometimes take God's existence for granted. We believe what the Bible tells us about the eternal Spirit who had no beginning and whose existence will never end. But we may wonder sometimes about His character. If He allows disaster, how could He also be kind and loving?

As we read John 13 thoughtfully, we see that God is the foot-washing God. His unfathomable, sacrificial love for us should cause us to surrender to Him too. - Vernon C. Grounds

All to Jesus I surrender,
Make me, Savior, wholly Thine;
Let me feel the Holy Spirit-
Truly know that Thou art mine. -Van de Venter


No life is more secure than a life surrendered to God.

1 comment:

Julie (Little Missionary) said...

A very thought-provoking post!! Speaking for myself, I rarly stop and remember that my God is a foot-washing God! Wow, it is an awesome truth. He stoops to wash the feet of sinners - what other "god" would do that!?

Thank you Lord for washing not only my feet but my entire being.

Julie - LM