Monday, August 18, 2008

Evidence for God

The following post was taken from Ann Voskamp's Holy Experience blog. Thank you, Ann, for your thought-provoking and awe-inspiring writing. Keep it up!

Ann writes:

I found the evidence yesterday, unexpectedly, on the trail to the woods. It was at the the curve, just before that large made-for-sitting-on stone, where one can see down into the valley of fields from the top of the hill.


A sea of corn tassels stood stilled, waiting for me to know. The woods behind the fields, dark and green, worshipped silently, anticipating the unveiling, in the morning coming down. Yet I would have missed it not for the words on the open page of the Bible in hand:

“…but he never left them without evidence of himself and his goodness.

For instance, he sends you rain and good crops and gives you food and joyful hearts.”

Looking up from His Word, I saw plainly. Right there, on the walk to the woods, stood the stark evidence of the reality of God. Right there, across the undulating fields: undeniable evidence of the Creator of the Universe, spread out before my very eyes.

The earth beneath my feet was damp from the rains He had sent in the night.
(Acts 14:17 NLT)

The good crop of corn stood stock still , iron bars bearing tons of produce. We had food on the table, in mason jars lining the pantry, in bags of summer sealed in the freezer.

And my heart, the last witness to give testimony to the evidence of God: yes, my heart was full.


The evidence was unmistakable, the proof of God and His goodness so obvious...in a moment in time on the walk to the woods.

I saw and I know.

Lord, You left the evidence where I couldn’t miss it. And to think I almost did. But You unveiled it: rain, good crops, food, joyful hearts. Now to remember: You are real.