Sunday, August 26, 2007

The Priesthood of Praying Pals

"The everlasting God. . . neither faints nor is weary" ~ (Isaiah 40:28).

I love this scripture.

Hello friends, Vicki here. I am so thankful for this gathering of fine folk! Your welcoming notes and comments have warmed my heart. I'm enjoying getting to know you all. But I just figured out how to log in, so since I couldn't sleep, thought maybe I'd post a quick tidbit or two.

Found something tonight from Andrew Murray's little book, With Christ in the School of Prayer. Oh how awesome it is to know that prayer is the highest work entrusted to us by God, the root and strength of all our other work in Him, Murray says. I think that Oswald Chambers also said that prayer doesn't equip us for greater works -- prayer is the greater work. So Pilgrim Pals, know that you are doing the greater work of praying for one another in this priesthood of believers. What an amazing and beautiful ministry to find here!

Andrew Murray speaks of our prayer closet here:

"The blessing of the closet does not depend on the strong or fervent feeling with which I pray, but on the love and power of the Father to Whom I there entrust my needs."

Amen and thank you, Jesus.

"Prayer is the practice of drawing on the grace of God," says Oswald Chambers. God is able to make all grace abound towards each one of us--isn't that something! Not just a trickle of grace, but ALL grace.

And this one:

"The purpose of prayer is that we get ahold of God, not of the answer."

Yep, and sometimes God has surely gotten ahold of ME. Know what I mean?

I'll close with one more goodie.

"We look for visions from heaven and for earthshaking events to see God's power....yet we never realize that all the time God is at work in our everyday events and in the people around us. If we will only obey and do the task that He has placed closest to us, we will see Him."

I think Chambers is right. Because I see Christ working all around me through YOU, my precious brothers and sisters in Christ. Keep praying and looking to Jesus. He is our life!

Blessings,
~ Vicki ~

9 comments:

passing-thru said...

"GOOD STUFF" VICKI

Have read the writings of Andrew Murray and reading your post gives me a thirst to go back and read again - I like this one U said
"The purpose of prayer is that we get ahold of God, not of the answer."
E M BOUNDS writings influenced me early in my Christian walk -
Thanks for being one of us

Saija said...

i should read this golden oldie again! you quoted really good truths from this classic ...

we feel we lead a quiet life, and prayer is a 24/7 part of the 24/7 chronic pain leo has and i live with ... without being "in prayer" and also the prayers of others - this walk would be impossible to do with HOPE still intact ...

so even if we "feel" our life is too "little" and "too quiet", i think there are realms in the spirit and in our prayer life and the prayer life of others that must be explosive & grander than what the eye can see!

blessings to you ... good post ...

Terry said...

So thankful for you Vicki.
Your not being able to sleep last night has given us the benefit of your post.

What a way to start out the Lord's Day!
Answerd prayer and more answered prayer in the wings.

We will be praising the Lord today for ever coming to die for us and praising Him for his mighty blessings.

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift!


Thanks Vicki...Love Terry

Good morning Passing-thru!
Hi Saija...Blessings on you amd Leo today..Love Terry

David Warren Fisher said...

Vicki:

Thanks so much for your post! It's sure good to have you on board as a full-fledged prayer partner, dear friend.

I think I welcomed you quite a while ago but you didn't post 'til now. I'll have to check that out.

Be encouraged today!

In His love,

David

Anonymous said...

Yes - good morning Terry , Saija , Vicki and David --

Lord Bless Today ------

your friend, Bob

Vicki said...

Passing-thru, your words are always so encouraging. God has blessed us with a good many spiritual writers to accompany us on our Homeward journey...I should get a copy of EM Bounds...thanks for mentioning him.

Saija, you put it well - so if there are greater realms to our praying lives than we realize(and there is!) we have the Holy Spirit to thank, who continually moves and intercedes for us. So sorry that you and Leo deal with 24/7 pain and will remember you both in my prayers...been struggling with some muscle pain myself. {{hugs}}

Terry, you're such a sweet encourager and your words always bless my sleepy, tired heart. I did not sleep much at all last night, but it was good to sit and read awhile.Blessings on your Sunday!

David, yes, yes - you sure did! When did Pals get started? In June? If so, that was exactly the time when Richard had his open heart surgery for the aneurysm repair and valve replacement. I was caught up with his recovery for awhile, I guess. But when the Lord laid on my heart to check Pals out, I realized He was whispering for me to get involved.

God bless you all.

Pilot Mom said...

What a wonderful post, Vicki, to get us centered for the day. I love Andrew Murray's books. Rich in spiritual food. And, like Bob said regarding E M Bounds...I have learned so much from his writings too.

" The blessing of the closet does not depend on the strong or fervent feeling with which I pray, but on the love and power of the Father to Whom I there entrust my needs." What a comfort this should bring to us! :)

Felisol said...

Dear Vicki,
I grabbed the to lines quoted below, and they've worked for me today.
"The purpose of prayer is that we get ahold of God, not of the answer."
Somtimes insomnia can be a blessing too, at least to others.
Yours Felisol On The Far Side Of The Sea

Anonymous said...

So many good comments on Vicki's post -- Felisol got a blessing and so did all of us --
The pals are on a spiritual quest to be all we can be for God , going deeper and doing more for our GOD -