Thursday, August 23, 2007

Sitting With My Heroes


This afternoon I sat by the lake with two excellent books by my two heroes, men of faith whose lives have shaped mine since I was a young man. My companions were HUDSON TAYLOR'S CHOICE SAYINGS and SPIRITUAL SECRETS of GEORGE MULLER (by Roger Steer).

As I perused the pages, fretting about pressing issues, I sensed a refreshing relief...an assurance that I would be alright, that Jehovah-Jireh would provide. The breeze was brisk, the air cool, raindrops occasionally sprayed on the reader from the leaves of nearby trees. But my heart was warmed.

As I rested there I wrote:

Today I sat with friends of old,
Men of purpose, mighty, bold;
As I mused I was refreshed
Reminded that this present test
Will work for my eternal good
And glory bring to our great God.

I rose determined to press on
Regardless of the raging storm,
Knowing that He will provide
Every pressing need supply;
Today, I may the answer see
But, if not, He'll steady me.

Mighty God, I watch and wait
In Your hands I place my fate,
You alone can turn the tide
Setting fear and doubt aside.
I look to You, naught else will do
Lord, my help cometh from You.

- David Fisher, Elim Lodge, August 23/07

6 comments:

Vicki said...

Yes, now I love the name, Jehovah Jireh...because He's been faithful over and over again to provide my every need. Thanks for posting this. We all could stand to read more faith-filled writings such as the great saints you've mentioned here, heroes of the faith.

Mighty good writing there yourself, Pilgrim Dave. Blessings to you at Elohim Lodge.

passing-thru said...

Good for U David -- getting some refreshing times --- say, U haven't read that book yet have U -- lol--- Henrietta Soltau -- its a faith builder as well --

Remember to mail back Edit Larby's book -- I have to WATCH U when it comes to books ---- lol

Pilgrim Pals said...

Oh you are so fortunate David.
I haven't been able to read a good book for a long time..
Such good books you have too, eh?
Are you swiping that book from Passing-thru?
I thought the guy GAVE it to you!

Terry

Laura said...

Beauttiful Picture David, did you take it or steal it?? HAHA

Anonymous said...

Did you ever hear the Integrity Music song, "Jehovah Jireh, my provider, His grace is sufficient for me, for me, for me!"? I was reminded of it...that's an oldie, I listened to it when i was little!

Glad to hear you are having such a good time reading! Sounds very relaxing! Oh, and I found a used Sony H7 for $395, and my dad WISELY suggested I first go to some stores and feel, hold, see some cameras, and then decide if I'm going to make the jump...Advice taken!

God bless you,
LPP

susanwalkergirl said...

Wonderful...He is faithful! Thank you for sharing your praise He who is worthy.

So glad you are getting your much needed rest and that our heavenly Father is ministering to your needs and building your faith.

You are one of our heroes David! Blessings to you and your family.