Friday, August 31, 2007

Ten Years!!


Ten years ago today my Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. It's a day that will forever be etched in memory. What I was wearing, feeling, the people I saw, the food I had for dinner....I could tell you every last detail of that day.
I was so young, just sixteen and I had just arrived home from a fabulous summer of serving at camp and being a live-in-nanny, I often wonder how I handled it all....the uncertainty of her possible death, the awkwardness of having to tell friends, having to be more of a 'parent figure' to my younger siblings, the list goes on.
But by God's loving kindness and from the amazing support of friends and family we made it through. Since then, around this time each year I spend a bit of time reflecting on the past, but also, rejoicing and expressing true thankfulness to God for my Mom's life and allowing her to mark one more year of healthiness.....Lauramae

7 comments:

Pilgrim Pals said...

Oh Lauramae, I love the cross stitch you have at the top of your post! It is so true!

Congratulations to your mom for a hard fought battle!

Like you I can vividly recall the phone call from the doctor and the news. I remember the whole day...even the "zombie" like feeling that engulfed me. Unlike you, I didn't eat dinner. Didn't even attempt it. It's amazing when something so...so...powerful(?) so significant stikes that even smells and sensations can be remembered years later, as if one was right back in the throes of it all. I truly do not know what I would have done had I not had the Lord to hold on to.

Pilgrim Pals said...

Sorry, that was me...Pilot Mom in the comment above. I hate it when I forget to sign out because then I have to REMEMBER to sign my name when I am commenting! :(

Anonymous said...

GOOD POST LAURAMAE !!


SO GOOD TO HEAR FROM U AND A REAL FAITH BUILDING POST FOR US TO THINK ON -

AM SO GLAD YOUR FAMILY HAD SUCH GOOD RESULTS --

*** AND GOOD COMMENT FROM CLAIRE,(PILOT MOM) people that have tasted such trials ----

Anonymous said...

Lauramae,
Thank you for the inspiring post. It's always nice to here from you here on Pals.

God bless you,
LPP

Laura said...

Well thanx Terry for copying and pasting this...HAHAHA!

susanwalkergirl said...

Miss Lauramae...praise Him indeed. It is always good to reflect on our difficult times. Look back and see God work in our lives. What the enemy meant for evil...God will use for good.

Vicki said...

oh, I just found this post tonight and grateful that you shared it, sweet Lauramae {{hugs}} My mom died from cancer (melanoma) and my father died from lung cancer. I can't imagine losing your mother at such a tender age, but God is so good to carry us through these difficult times. He did that for me, too.