Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Burning The Midnight Oil




This evening I really did want to get on to Pilgrim Pals but we had a big power failure!
No hydro..no lights. no computer.
For three and a half hours!

Well I looked up our old trusty oil lamp and lit it.
As I sat in the fairly dark house and looked at that lantern, it made me think of one time when Bernie and I were visiting Bernie's foster parents in Smith Falls.
The minister in the church that they attended had been telling the Christians that because we had Jesus inside us that we were as lights in this dark world.
He was saying that when the Lord comes again to take us home, how much darker the world will be then.
Anyway as Bernie and I returned home late Monday night,the whole city of Welland had suffered a power failure and how dark it was, with no lights in the house windows and not a street light be found.
I looked at Bernie and he looked at me and right away we thought about what that preacher had said about the darkness that the world would have to endure when all God's children with the light of Jesus inside would be taken to be with the great "I am the Light", Himself!
What a glorious day that will be!
In the meantime we will have to be just like this faithful oil lamp and we must let our light shine!!

This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine
This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine
This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine
Ev'ry day, ev'ry day
Ev'ry day, ev'ry day.
Gonna'let my little light shine
Let it shine,Let it shine.

Hide it under a bushel? No!
I'm gonna let it shine
Hide it under a bushel? No!
I'm gonna let it shine
Hide it under a bushel? No!
I'm gonna let it shine
Let it shine,
Let it shine,
Let it shine!

This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine
This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine
This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine
Let it shine,
Let it shine,
Let it shine.

Shine all over the neighborhood,
I'm gonna let it shine
Shine all over the neighborhood,
I'm gonna let it shine
Shine all over the neighborhood,
I'm gonna let it shine
Let it shine,
Let it shine,
Let it shine.

This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine
This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine
This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine
Let it shine,
Let it shine,
Let it shine.

Let it shine til Jesus comes,
I'm gonna let it shine
Let it shine til Jesus comes,
I'm gonna let it shine
Let it shine til Jesus comes,
I'm gonna let it shine
Let it shine,
Let it shine,
Let it shine.

This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine
This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine
This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine
Let it shine,
Let it shine,
Let it shine.

There is a verse to this song that tells us not to let Satan blow it out.
Well that will never happen.
Though it may seem dim sometimes, it will NEVER go out.
It is an eternal light!
Nobody can ever blow THAT light out!

5 comments:

Terry said...

Donna...I received your email this evenign I guess bur was just now able to read it.
You were wondering about Arlene.
Well I was on her blog yesterday and noticed a positive cmment by Miss Patty.
I have copied it and will paste it here Donna.

Pat said...
"I'm so happy to hear that your treatment is working so well and that you are once again able to eat. Praise God that you will soon be home from the hospital!!! Our prayers continue every day. By His Stripes!"
08 September, 2007 18:49



Well I bettter got to bed Donna...
Ha!! You are working so you will have to be burning the midnight oil and stay awake, eh?...Love Terry

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update on Arlene --

Never know when those Sunday School songs come in handy !

Lord Bless U , Terry ---------

Anonymous said...

Hi, Mrs. Shirkie,

Thank you for the song I am going to ask a huge favr of you please...I am going to type up something special for Pals and paste it on your blog comments, if you can please post it here TOMORROW...thank you so much. We will probably not have much need to get on the 'puter tomorrow, so that's why I' doing this today. Thank you.

LPP

Terry said...

Will do Lil Pilgrim
Already have the flowers picked out...Love Mrs. Shirkie

Anonymous said...

Thanks a million, Mrs. Shirkie...I hope I get a chance tomorrow to get on here. We're observing the day biblically, and have been invited for the second year in a row to attend a local synangogue (as GENTILES! WOW! Talk about being a living witness, this stuff is fun!) So, we will be taking a much-needed day of rest, in time to gear up for our fair...and my dad is comig home Friday! WooHOO!

LPP