Monday, September 17, 2007

HAVE THINE OWN WAY, LORD

This song, written in 1907, was often used in the old Pentacostal church my parents belonged to.
I've heard and sung it often as a child.
Back then I found it sweet and soothing.
Now it's challenging, and I barely dare to utter the words.
I find that I mostly pray, "my will be done".
Even though I know God knows and wants the best for me.
I think I'll have a long talk, sitting on his lap, when I get home.

Have Thine Own Way, Lord

Text: Adelaide A. Pollard, 1862-1934
Music: George C. Stebbins, 1846-1945
1. Have thine own way, Lord! Have thine own way!
Thou art the potter, I am the clay.
Mold me and make me after thy will,
while I am waiting, yielded and still.

2. Have thine own way, Lord! Have thine own way!
Search me and try me, Savior today!
Wash me just now, Lord, wash me just now,
as in thy presence humbly I bow.
3. Have thine own way, Lord! Have thine own way!
Wounded and weary, help me I pray!
Power, all power, surely is thine!
Touch me and heal me, Savior divine!
4. Have thine own way, Lord! Have thine own way!
Hold o'er my being absolute sway.
Fill with thy Spirit till all shall see
Christ only, always, living in me!
Felisol On The Far Side Of The Sea

5 comments:

Pilot Mom said...

This is one of my favorites, too. And, like you, I can barely utter the words on some days. Other days, I shout it out to Him. We are fickle children, are we not? :)

Anonymous said...

Many times this was used as an "Altar call" was made at the end of a Sunday Nite service

Those old hymns had many a great story as to their origins -

Terry said...

This is one of those lovely hymns that is so hard to sing with truth if you aren't willing to do what you sing..
Just like the hymn,"When I Survey the Wondrous Cross"...the line that says,
"Had I thousand hearts to give,
Lord, they should all be thine!"
I find it so hard to give Him the one heart I have, let alone a thousand of them!
And how easy it is to sing "Have Thine own Way" while I am trying my hardest to get my own will be done!!

Great Post!......Love Terry

Anonymous said...

Hello,Mrs. Ljung!

I have just gotten on here after being absent since the weekend, andI'm glad to read a post from you. I will get on over to your blog when I can.

Love,
LPP

Vicki said...

Loved this post. Felisol. {{hugs}}