Saturday, August 18, 2007

Our Sweet Heather


16.AugOkay, here it goes…
Thursday
I will be on chemo for atleast the next year. I cant tell you what emotions that sends through me, and I made those concerns aware to my oncology nurse today. They are going to start me on a 25% lower dose than they would have had I tolerated the first round well, but still almost double the dose I was on previously. My platelets still haven’t bounced back, but they are high enough to begin.
Monday is the big day.
I am adopting the regimen that 38 lemon practices regarding constipation. I cant tell you how bad it was last time. It was really really bad.
4 days prior to chemo: 1 Senokot tablet 3 times per day
3 days prior to chemo: 1 Senokot tablet 3 times per day
2 days prior to chemo: 2 Senokot tablets 3 times per day, 1 Colace capsule 2 times per day
1 day prior to chemo: 2 Senokot tablets 3 times per day, 1 Colace capsule 3 times per day
Days 1-5 of chemo: 2 Senokot tablets 3 per day, 1 Colace capsule 3 times per day
Day 6 of chemo: 2 Senokot tablets 3 times per day, Titrate Colace
Day 7 of chemo: 1 Senokot table 3 times per day.
Day 8 of chemo: Titrate Senokot
I will be on a 5/25 cycle which means that I will be on chemo for 5 days at a high dose and then off for 25. I will most likely feel the effects until day 8 or 9, which is why the above plan continues through day 8.
They were amazed that I hadn’t had any other problems… seizures, vision problems, etc.
All in all it was a great day. My MRI came back clear (I expected it to, I just had one last week to check for brain swelling). The biggest problem of the day was that I had to go to the business office before I could check in, they had me down as self pay Once that was cleared up it was easy breezy!
Heres a picture from today, the scarve I have on is from 4women.com and let me tell you that it is the most comfortable non itchy cooling thing I have ever put on my head
I go back in 4 weeks, to evaluate how my body is doing with chemo. I wont have an MRI at that appointment. I will have follow-up MRIs every 2 months.
Specific Prayer Reguests:1. That I would tolerate chemo this time around.2. That my platelets and Hemoglobin would not drop.3. That my nausea would be tolerable, that is a big concern of mine.4. That my heart would just be still and know that He is God. I want to take this one day at a time, and when I do that it is so manageable… .it is when I worry about tomorrow that my heart is not at peace.
Thank you for your prayers today, I slept wonderfully last night and I have no doubt that it was a result of your prayers. I actually slept through my MRI (with Bebo Norman playing on cd!), so my heart was at peace.
Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace.
And be thankful.-Colossians 3:15
I am eternally thankful…
I will be taking Temodar for chemo. It is in pill form. I will take it at night, with zofran so the worst part I will sleep through hopefully.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WE WILL CONTINUE TO PRAY FOR U HEATHER -

YOUR QUITE A TESTIMONY


I have been humbled by U from the first time I read your blog

Julie (Little Missionary) said...

What an amazing journey you are on Heather - we thank God that you know Jesus - otherwise how could you possibily endure such circumstances!! Praise God for your testimony. I am humbled by your courage and determination - praise God who gives you strength during this trial. What a witness you are to His love and grace!

Julie (LM)

Vicki said...

Heather's sweet spirit is such a blessing to me. This is HARD stuff to go through yet God's grace is so evident in her heart and life. May the Lord God, Jehovah Rapha (Healer) keep His powerful hand upon you, Heather, and give you peace every step of the way.

WE LOVE YOU, little sister.